We’re so glad that you have chosen to join the First Impressions) Ministry! Your involvement here will have a positive impact on helping us fulfill our purpose.
The First Impressions Ministry consists of the following departments:-
- Ushers and Greeters Department
- Parking Attendants
Agape House New Testament Church is a family of disciples of our Lord Jesus Christ. We are a community of people who live in joyful communion with Christ resulting in His character, compassion, and charisma (giftings) growing in us as we seek to win others to Him.
Therefore, the First Impressions Ministry seeks to fulfill the values of the church by:
- Giving glory to God through the demonstration of the unconditional Love of God to guests of the church by providing a warm spirit of Christian friendliness and hospitality to all guests.
- Facilitating an atmosphere where guests and church members can experience renewal and celebration in the presence of God.
- Serving as the host of the building in which believers and strangers gather to seek God.
- Keeping order and help create a spirit of worship, reverence, and friendliness in and about the church.
Our Mission Statement
To welcome regular worshipers and visitors in a way that prepares them to encounter Christ though worship. Knowing that the strength of corporate worship depends greatly on the community in which it takes place.
What is the First Impressions Ministry?
“Dear friend, when you extend hospitality to Christian brothers and sisters, even when they are strangers, you make the faith visible. They’ve made a full report back to the church here, a message about your love. It’s good work you’re doing, helping these travelers on their way, hospitality worthy of God himself”. 3rd John, vs. 5-6. The Message (MSG Bible) Version.
The First Impressions Ministry is made of a group of people determined to make our faith visible by creating positive first impressions. This means that its first and most basic purpose is to point others toward Jesus Christ, not simply to move people from the outside of the church building to the pews. We are quite literally the first face of Christ when someone joins us for worship. Since the first impressions team are the first ones to meet worshipers when they enter the building at any service , we have a great opportunity (and even responsibility) to create a meaningful worship experience.
Ushers and Greeters
- Greet worshippers
- Direct members and guests to seats
- Distribute materials related to the service
- Direct people out of the service
- Assist with the arrangement of chairs before and after the service
- Direct people during special services such as communion or people who require prayer
- Be alert to assist during ministration
Car Park Attendants
- Supervise the orderly parking of cars in the car park
- Greet members
- Direct members into the church and children’s church
Requirements for Membership
To become a member of the First Impressions Ministry you must:
- Be eighteen or above.
- Make a commitment to the vision and values of Agape House New Testament Church by becoming a member of the church. To be a member of Agape House you must:-
- Have received the Lord Jesus as your Savior and be born again. John 3:3,16
- Be Baptized in Water. Galatians 3:26-28
- Attend Class 101 (Our church membership class)
- Sign the Membership Agreement.
For further information about church membership please contact us at the church office on 0302 544355 or come to the welcome centre after any service.
- Complete a First Impressions Ministry Application Form.
- Attend an interview with the department coordinator.
- Complete a 2hr training session.
General Conduct / Church Standards
Any person seeking to work in Agape House on a regular basis must meet certain standards of behavior and exemplar living for the sake of Christ and His body.
These standards are as follows:-
- They must be a member in good standing of Agape House New Testament Church and in agreement with the Statement of Faith and Practices (Section IV CLASS 101) of the Agape House New Testament Church. (Titus 1:9)
- A mature consistent Christian who is seeking a closer walk with God and a greater work of the Holy Spirit in his/her life and the life of the church. (1 Timothy 3:6; Ephesians 5:18)
- Faithful to attend all regular practices and church services when possible. (Hebrews 10:25)
- Faithful in regular giving to the church. (Proverbs 3:9; Malachi 3:10; 2 Corinthians 9:7)
- Faithful in marriage to his/her spouse. (Genesis 2:24; Mark 10:9; 1 Timothy 3:12)
- Because of the sanctity of marriage and the testimony that is needed in a time when God’s plan for the permanence of the marriage relationship is being threatened, not currently or recently involved in a marriage separation or divorce unless on biblical grounds or unless the separation or divorce was not the desire and not at the initiation of the position holder. (Matt. 5:31,32; Mark 10:2-9)
- Not involved in acts of, or holding as acceptable, adultery, fornication, homosexuality or other improper sexual behaviors as defined by the Bible. (Exodus 20:14; 1 Corinthians 6:9; 1Thessalonians. 4:3-5, 7, 8)
- Refraining from the use of alcoholic beverages, tobacco or illicit drugs (for the sake of our bodies the temple of God and of our good witness). (1 Corinthians 6:19, 20; Romans 14:21)
- Refraining from the use of vulgar or profane language. (Colossians 3:8)
- Loving, kind, gracious, forgiving, cooperative, hospitable – not being contentious or having a spirit of murmuring, complaining, or criticism and not given to anger. (Romans 12:10; Ephesians 4:31,32; Philippians 2:14; Colossians 3:12-15; Titus 1:8; 3:2)
- Given to seeking unity and oneness in the body of Christ by the Spirit of our Lord. (Ephesians 4:3; 1 Corinthians 1:10; I Peter 3:8)
- One who believes in the leadership of the Holy Spirit for God’s church and who will support and work cooperatively with the Senior Pastor, the other church leaders, and the leadership of the First Impressions Ministry in the seeking of God’s will for His work and ministry for the Agape House New Testament Church. (Proverbs 3:5,6; Isaiah. 48:17; John 16:13; Acts 13:2; Romans 8:14; Philippians 1;27; Colossians 1:18)
Responsibilities of a Member
Every members of the First Impressions Ministry must continue to meet the following standards in order to effective in ministry:-
Complete three other classes:
- Class 201: Discovering Spiritual Maturity
- Class 301: Discovering My Ministry and
- Class 401: Discovering My Life Mission
FIM takes seriously your obligations to the service of AHNTC. Attendance is one of the important obligations and members must abide by these guidelines:
- Arrival. Members must arrive one half hour prior to the event at which they are serving. Pick up your ID at the Registration Desk and register your attendance.
- Departure. Members must remain till the last of congregants have left the auditorium and packing and the chairs packed before leaving. Return your ID to the Registration Desk.
- Notification. Members must call the Ministry Director to inform him/her of their absence and confirm that a substitute has been found. Also, the r assistant leader must be contacted.
- Substitute Requirements. Members must make every attempt to find a sub from the provided list of members. If he or she is unable to find a substitute, the Volunteer must contact the Director.
- Worship Participation. In order to better serve congregants in the spirit of humility and God’s unconditional love, members are expected to actively participate in service.
The Dress Code
Persons who want to join the First Impression Ministry are required to be neat and clean in appearance when scheduled to serve. They should be well-groomed, clean cut and wear nice casual clothing. The dress code is as follows:
- Suits are permitted but not required
- Jeans are allowed but should be in very good condition, not faded with no holes or strings
- Only Christian T-shirts are permitted and they should be in very good condition not severely wrinkled, torn or faded;
- Body piercing will not be permitted with the exceptions of earrings and small studs. If you are not sure ask your coordinator for further direction.
- Men are not permitted to wear tank tops, shorts, sweat pants or flip-flops.
- Women should be tastefully dressed. No mini -skirts, shorts, tank tops, sweat pants or revealing shirts should be worn. Skirts should be at or below the knees. Women are permitted to wear decorative open footwear.
- It is important that you have fresh smelling breath. A breath mint is acceptable but we ask that you do not chew gum since it is annoying to the person you are speaking with and you may also inadvertently spit on them.
- Do not wear too much perfume or cologne as some people are allergic to them.
- No eating will be allowed during services/events. There will be no gum chewing during services or ministrations. Please do not allow eating to inhibit your ability to effectively services.
- All mobile phones are to be switched off during services.
- Members on duty should be on station no later than 15 minutes prior to the service.
- Long before the earliest worshiper has arrived, members should make sure that nothing has been left undone to provide a room that is ready in all respects for the worshipers.
Qualities of a Member
Listed below are some of the qualities, gifts and characters that are useful as a member of the Guest Service Ministry:-
- Enjoy and care about people
- Possess a servant heart
- Social (Enjoy meeting new people)
- Attentive to the needs of others
- Enjoy working as part of a team
- Passion for people
- Public Relations Ability
- Welcoming Ability
- Not easily Angered or offended
- Recall Ability
- Complete the application form enclosed in this handbook.
- Submit the form at the church office or at the welcome centre.
- You will be contacted by the coordinator of the department within a week of us receiving the application.
- The coordinator will arrange an appointment to meet with you and arrange for you to begin training.
We look forward to welcoming you as a member of the First Impressions Ministry!