We’re glad that you are considering joining the Prayer Ministry of Agape House NTC. Your involvement here will have a positive impact on helping us fulfill our purpose. In this handbook you will find out how you can become a member of the team, what it will entail and much more.
We believe that prayer is the life and soul of all that we do at Agape House; without it, we can expect no success in our ministry; without it our best instructions are fruitless and our most painful labors worthless. The Prayer Ministry therefore fits in the Mission and Vision for Agape House as the backbone of all ministries. Prayer is our way to communicate with God. No matter what is going on in the body of Christ someone or a group prays at all times to ensure that God’s will and purpose is fulfilled.
This ministry’s purpose is to:
- Intercede in prayer and fasting as directed by the Pastoral team on behalf of our church’s congregation on a weekly basis and
- Educate the Members of Agape House on prayer in order to create an awareness of the power of prayer and foster a passion for praying to permeate every ministry with prayer.
Our Mission Statement
Our mission is found in Isaiah 62v6-7 I have posted watchmen on your walls, O Jerusalem;
they will never be silent day or night. You who call on the Lord, give yourselves no rest, and give him no rest till he establishes Jerusalem and makes her the praise of the earth.
We are committed to seeking God’s will for salvation of the unsaved, the reclaiming of those who have fallen and the strengthening of saints of God and the vision of the church to be fulfilled according to God’s will and His divine plan.
What is the Prayer Ministry?
The Prayer Ministry is made up of a team of dedicated volunteers committed to igniting a passion for prayer within the congregational life and ministries of Agape House New Testament Church. We pray that the power of Christ’s love is made manifest in all we are and do.
The ministry works with the pastoral staff, lay leaders, church committee structure and the congregation to encourage, assist and enable individual and corporate prayer activities in the church.
The Ministry is committed to accomplishing the following assignments:
- Prayer Room Team – Individuals commit to praying on a weekly basis for the specific prayer requests submitted to the church each week and to sending a note of encouragement to those who submit the request.
- Prayer Warriors These individuals receive urgent prayer requests via email as the church office is notified.
- Life Group Prayer Warrior The Life Group Prayer Warrior serves on a prayer team, responding to the life groups requests for prayer.
- Pastors Prayer Team Members of the Pastor’s Prayer Team commit to praying at the church office for our Senior Pastor, his family and the Pastoral Team. Prayer postcards are e-mailed to the team members each month.
- Worship Intercessors This team consists of individuals who commit to praying for the leaders and people in our worship services during the worship service.
- Missions Prayer Team Members commit to praying for our mission partnerships in our city, nation, and around the world. This Prayer Meeting takes place one Sunday a month in the Prayer Room.
Key prayer activities include prayer vigils, prayer breakfast, and other prayer opportunities.
The Ministry’s core duties include:
- Igniting a passion for prayer in others.
- Praying over topics assigned by coordinator.
- Attending prayer training events and assisting in organizing them.
- Assisting other church ministries with their prayer focus.
Requirements for Membership
To become a member of the Prayer Ministry you must:
- Make a commitment to the vision and values of Agape House New Testament Church by becoming a member of the church. To be a member of Agape House you must:-
- Have received the Lord Jesus as your Savior and be born again. John 3:3,16
- Be Baptized in Water. Galatians 3:26-28
- Attend Class 101 (Our church membership class)
- Sign the Membership Agreement and submit it
- For further information about church membership please contact us at the church office on 0302 544355 or come to the welcome centre after any service.
- Complete a Prayer Ministry Application Form.
- Complete a Pastoral Interview with department coordinator.
General Conduct / Church Standards
Any person filling or seeking to fill any position which represents the church on a regular basis must meet certain standards of behavior and exemplar living for the sake of Christ and His body.
Standards of conduct for every minister of Agape House:
- A member in good standing of Agape House New Testament Church and in agreement with the Statement of Faith and Practices (Section IV CLASS 101) of the Agape House New Testament Church. (Titus 1:9)
- A mature consistent Christian who is seeking a closer walk with God and a greater work of the Holy Spirit in his/her life and the life of the church. (1 Timothy 3:6; Ephesians 5:18 )
- Faithful to attend all regular practices and church services when possible. (Hebrews 10:25)
- Faithful in regular giving to the church. (Proverbs 3:9; Malachi 3:10; 2 Corinthians 9:7)
- Faithful in marriage to his/her spouse. (Genesis 2:24; Mark 10:9; 1 Timothy 3:12)
- Because of the sanctity of marriage and the testimony that is needed in a time when God’s plan for the permanence of the marriage relationship is being threatened, not currently or recently involved in a marriage separation or divorce unless on biblical grounds or unless the separation or divorce was not the desire and not at the initiation of the position holder. (Matt. 5:31,32; Mark 10:2-9)
- Not involved in acts of, or holding as acceptable, adultery, fornication, homosexuality or other improper sexual behaviors as defined by the Bible. (Exodus 20:14; 1 Corinthians 6:9; 1Thessalonians. 4:3-5, 7, 8)
- Refraining from the use of alcoholic beverages, tobacco or illicit drugs (for the sake of our bodies the temple of God and of our good witness). (1 Corinthians 6:19, 20; Romans 14:21)
- Refraining from the use of vulgar or profane language. (Colossians 3:8)
- Loving, kind, gracious, forgiving, cooperative, hospitable – not being contentious or having a spirit of murmuring, complaining, or criticism and not given to anger. (Romans 12:10; Ephesians 4:31,32; Philippians 2:14; Colossians 3:12-15; Titus 1:8; 3:2)
- Given to seeking unity and oneness in the body of Christ by the Spirit of our Lord. (Ephesians 4:3; 1 Corinthians 1:10; I Peter 3:8)
- One who believes in the leadership of the Holy Spirit for God’s church and who will support and work cooperatively with the Senior Pastor, the other church leaders, and the leadership of their Department in the seeking of God’s will for His work and ministry for the Agape House New Testament Church. (Proverbs 3:5,6; Isaiah. 48:17; John 16:13; Acts 13:2; Romans 8:14; Philippians 1;27; Colossians 1:18)
Responsibilities of a Member
- You will be expected to attend all team meetings as scheduled by the team coordinator.
- Attend Leaders in God’s House Training meetings twice yearly.
- Attend worship services weekly.
- Seek to grow spiritually by attending the three other Christian Leadership and Service Seminars offered by Agape House (C.L.A.S.S 201, 301 & 401).
- Become part of a discipleship group.
- Be punctual and reliable when scheduled for duty.
- When on duty turn off mobile phone to avoid distraction.
- Support coordinator and leader of the Ministry following direction, offering ideas and contributing to continued improvement in the ministry.
- Inform the coordinator immediately should any of your personal details/ contact numbers change.
- Members are asked to inform the coordinator giving as much notice as possible should you need to terminate your membership of the ministry.
- Members are expected to participate in all prayer activities of the church, including, but not limited to:
- a. All-day prayer sessions
- b. All-night prayer vigils
- Members are also required to organize and participate in prayer retreats and seminars from time to time.
When on duty please observe the following guidelines:-
- No fitted or tight fitting shirts or trousers
- No skinny jeans
- See-through clothing is not allowed
- No low-cut tops for females
- Hair neat and smart
- Skirt and dress lengths must be on or below the knee.
Qualities of a Member
Listed below are some of the qualities, gifts and characters that are useful as a member of the Prayer Ministry:-
- Gift of Intercession
- Servant’s heart
- Ready to operate according to the Vision of the Church
- Loves to apply the word of God
- Submissive to God
- Prophetic Gift
- Complete the application form enclosed in this handbook.
- Submit the form at the church office or at the welcome centre.
- You will be contacted by the coordinator of the department within a week of us receiving the application.
We look forward to welcoming you as a member of the Prayer Ministry!